Senior Credit Officer
- - Credit Department
- Houston, TX, USA
- Full Time
Veritex Holdings Inc. is a publicly traded bank holding company headquartered in Dallas, Texas. Through our wholly-owned subsidiary, Veritex Community Bank, a state-chartered bank, we provide relationship-driven commercial banking products and services tailored to meet the needs of small to medium-sized businesses and professionals. Since our inception, we have targeted customers and acquisitions primarily in the Dallas Metropolitan area. We have expanded to 22 locations including a mortgage office. We are a fast growing and dynamic organization. The quality of our employees and their dedication to service is what separates us from other banks of any size. We strive to attract and retain exceptional employees who share our commitment to superior customer service, continued growth and organizational success.
In 2017, we were recognized as one of the Top 100 Places to work in Dallas by The Dallas Morning News as well as one of the Best Banks to Work for in the US by The American Banker!
Senior Credit Officer is responsible for the overall quality of the Bank loan portfolio and protecting the capital position of the Bank by ensuring that key credit issues and risk exposures are thoroughly analyzed and effectively presented, the credit decisions are acceptable and the structures appropriately mitigate the Bank's risk exposure, the credit actions adhere to Credit Policy as well as, all applicable state and federal banking regulations and the assigned Risk Ratings are accurate and justified.
The SCO supports the Executive Credit Officer for the region and will be called upon to advise the Bankers in the underwriting, structuring and negotiating of transactions and to provide guidance for prompt corrective action on past due and problem loans, non-accruals and charge-offs. The SCO is expected to provide expertise in the area of business finance and all of the various products and services associated therewith, with particular emphasis on small and mid-size business borrowers, using a demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of credit policies, regulatory requirements, analysis, and credit structure.
Essential Job Function/Responsibility:
• Partner with assigned loan groups and Underwriters to provide recommendations and approvals on credit structure and potential risks.
• Review and approve applicable loan requests, mods and waivers within signature authority, or if higher elevate to appropriate approval level
• Negotiates, where necessary, terms under which credit will be extended, including structure, repayment term, covenants and collateral requirements.
• Ensure all due diligence and background evaluation is complete before credit approval is granted.
• Ensure the effective administration of the corporate loan policies, programs, objectives and goals as they pertain to the Bank.
• Oversee documentation of loans to ensure complete loan files are maintained; works with the Bank's Lenders, underwriting and monitoring teams as needed.
• Monitor and manage loan portfolio quality metrics for responsible areas.
• Ensure the integrity of credit process, credit approval documentation and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Establish and nurture a conservative, proactive, and uniform credit culture.
• Ensure policy compliance requirements are met.
• Assesses risk ratings of credits, both at original approval and on an ongoing basis.
• Assure the integrity of individual credits approved as well as the assigned portfolio.
• Work with and mentors lending officers.
• Accompanies Bankers on client visits or site inspections when needed.
• Bachelor's degree required, preferably in Finance, Accounting, or Economics; MBA preferred.
• A minimum of ten (10) years' experience in a credit approval or related role with a focus on transactions in the $1- 5 million range with at least 15 years of experience overall of Commercial Banking experience; other relevant experience will be considered. Experience in Commercial Real Estate, C&I lending, and workouts is desirable.
• Broad experience including C&I, Real Estate, Professional & Executive, SBA, small business and consumer lending preferred.
• A high level of interpersonal skills to communicate policies, procedures and objectives effectively throughout the Bank and to cultivate working relationships with bankers and clients.
• A high level of analytical skill to assess and manage areas of responsibility, including determination of credit risk involved and making or supporting final approval decisions.
• Proficient with Excel and Microsoft Word.
• Strong written communications skills.
• Understanding of all Bank products and services.
• Thorough knowledge of commercial loans, principles, policies, and practices.
• Thorough knowledge of financial statement analysis.
• Knowledge of current lending laws and regulations.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
• Office working conditions.
• Occasional overnight travel to other bank locations.
• Frequently required to sit for long periods of time.
• Occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
• Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities to aid in their ability to perform the essential functions.
This job description is not an inclusive list of all duties and responsibilities of the position. Incumbents will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. Veritex Community Bank reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.